WHAT I HAVE LEARNED FROM THE PROJECT Excels

I was fortunate enough when I was chosen as one of the principals to undergo an online course entitled Excellence in School Leadership for Southeast Asia (Excels) which focused on Leading Curricular and Instructional Processes. SEAMEO – INNOTECH is the rightful course provider. It is aptly called a flexible course. An e-course this time would attune the school leadership to the Computer Age. It would not require a principal to be out of his school for a long time, attending formal classes. Aside from the scheduled chat sessions, the e-learner is given leeway in uploading his assignments. The learner is given 2 modules to study. The first module is about instructional leadership and the second module is about leading curriculum implementation and enrichment.

The program was launched on May 27, 2007 at Xavier University for Region 1`0 learners. However, the formal start keeps on being postponed. After the start of school year 2007-2008 in June, we are no longer expecting that the course would materialize. In November, a call from the SEAMEO – INNOTECH informed us that the course would formally start on November 22. I was worried. Two conventions in Manila would entail that I leave Gingoog on the 18th of November until the 29th. The 22nd session would coincide with the third day of the first convention at Shangrila Hotel and the second session with the last day in the Tagaytay convention. I e-mailed my tutor Dr. Veniegas about the possibility that I would not be able to log in on the first and second chat sessions.Dr. Veniegas reassured me that I would be able to, that I would just try to find ways to find an internet café nearby.

The rest is history. I was able to log in on the first and second sessions. But not without difficulty. On the first session I was still at Shangrila. I was not familiar with the place but a big mall is just a walking distance from the venue. I went to an internet café at the ground floor of megamall. Everything went well. The connection was fast I did not have a problem. I was able to finish the session. Payment time came. How much do I owe? I asked the cashier. “That would be P210 Sir”. I almost dropped dead from where I stood. For three hours it would have been at less than P70.00 back in my home town. I paid just the same. The second session was at NAIA . We stayed there for our flight back home will be at 7:20 on the next day. I asked the airport employees where the nearest internet café is. They pointed out Figaro. I reckoned it’s an Italian restaurant so it would charged more than the Megamall entity. So I walked from the terminal 2 past the terminal for international flights. Finally after about 2 kilometers walk amidst the drizzle, I chanced upon a signboard which says Internet Café. It was at the lobby of the Airport Hotel. It was in the middle of the Makati standoff with Trillanes. I asked the lady how much they would charge. Sixty (60)pesos per hour. I’m no longer surprised. It was already 3 pm so I logged in immediately. I was gain able to post my ideas on the chat room.

We have our last chat session on December 6, 2007. Well attended by other tutors and with the superprincipal of Malaysia, Dr. Mary Yap.

After studying the two modules and attending four chat sessions, here are the insights I gained from the whole thing:

1. Despite the internet age, bureaucracy still can slow down program implementation even with a good scheduling;

2. Instructional leadership is not just about inspecting lesson plans and observing teachers delivering their lessons. It’s about establishing a good relationship with all stakeholders.

3. We can shift from one characteristic to another in the course of our duty as instructional leader. We can shift from being leaders to managers and vice versa.

4. The business of instructional leadership is about effecting quality education.

5. Curriculum leadership is about doing all things relative to the achievement of a school’s goal for quality education

6. Knowledge in curriculum development is necessary to implement a school curriculum

7. Curriculum enrichment is about providing extra activities beyond the core or mastery curriculum. It must be fun and exciting.

8. Teachers should not be evaluated based on enrichment curriculum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HISTORY OF GINGOOG, MISAMIS ORIENTAL

History of Gingoog City

THE HISTORY OF BARANGAY EUREKA